Who are we?
- Mission-minded women of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) as well as women belonging to congregations that share fellowship with WELS
- Christian women who follow the biblical examples of women who shared the same privilege and responsibilities to carry out God's work
- Women sharing a history of supporting missions since the 1960s
- Women from over 800 member congregations - The Members page provides more information.
- Women who join as individual members when their WELS congregations don't participate at the congregational level
- Volunteer circuit officers from 60 circuits organized across the United States and Canada - The Circuits page provides more information.
- Nine officers who volunteer to serve on the Board of Directors - See the International page for more information.
- Volunteers who serve on local and international committees
- Three part-time employees who operate the Central Office in West Allis, Wisconsin
God has put many gifted and talented women in our midst!
What is our mission?
The LWMS mission statement is “LWMS is women dedicated to serving Jesus by increasing awareness of, interest in, and support of the mission outreach of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS).” LWMS wants to encourage women (and men) to learn about, pray for, and financially support with their offerings WELS mission efforts in North America and around the world. We have sisters and brothers who share our faith in over 39 countries around the world being served by WELS missionaries.
What do we do?
Active LWMS members
- meet to hear mission speakers
- worship together
- sponsor mission projects
- attend local circuit rallies
The LWMS organization
- hosts an annual convention
- secures mission speakers and workshops for the convention
- prepares and distributes newsletters and other mission-related materials
- administers the Befriend A Mission (BAM) program to encourage members to support, pray for, and communicate with home and world missionaries through prayers, letters, cards, and small gifts when possible
- administers the kids c.a.r.e. program to introduce children to mission awareness and support
- collects mission offerings from members and convention attendees to support projects that can be found in the Home and World Missions Projects booklet
- maintains endowment funds to support future mission work
Why do we do it?
The work of LWMS is urgent. Though we may have the knowledge and comfort of Jesus' gift of salvation, millions of souls in this world do not know their Savior and are in despair. Every day we have the opportunity to give someone the greatest gift, the gift of God's Word, with the message of their Savior. As the apostle Paul wrote in his letter to the early Roman church, "How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'" (10:14).
Join us in supporting this good work!